BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Sunday, May 11, 2008

to ALL the mama's: happy mama's day to you!

This is going to be a 2-part post.

Part 1: Mama's Day in the Mumblerrr! House

After J's soccer game yesterday, we were driving home and he started talking about how he and dad needed to go out and get me something for Mother's Day. I declared, "No, you do not need to buy anything. I want to sleep in tomorrow. Let me do that, and that will be the best present ever." Well, as the day went on, he continued to talk about it. (Oh, and by the way, he had already brought home a potted flower in a decorated foam coffee cup from school.) I had been wanting to talk to him about honoring his birth mother as well because that is a tradition we haven't really started with him. So, I used this as an opportunity, and he thought it was a great idea! Therefore, today our plan is to have a meal we enjoy, pick out a special dessert, and raise our glasses in honor of not just me, but of all of our birth mothers: the kids', mine, dad's and even Willoughby the cat. We then plan to watch a movie and play games.

So did I get to sleep in this morning? Somewhat. J came into our room and snuggled up around 7-ish. S soon followed but she was more awake. E was actually the last to wake up (wow!) but he, of course, needed to come in and climb all over the mama and put elbows in uncomfortable places. M made a quick trip out of the house in order to bring home a box of donuts from Tim Horton's and my only coffee drink, a cafe mocha. J also gave me a homemade card with 3o cents in it. (I'll try not to spend that all in one place.) They then went to church and left me at home to enjoy a few quiet minutes here with the blog. Aaaaaahhhhhh! Happy Mama's Day to me!!

Part 2: How to be Totally Offensive 101: A Lesson from Teleflora

So, Teleflora decides to have one of those best-mom-in-the-world contests. Great. But for some idiotic reason, they felt the need to define "mom" and actually came up with a "non-mom" mom category:
http://www.americasfavoritemom.com/mothers-day-2008/static/semiFinalists
"The non-mom mom category
Grandparent, stepmom, or mom to adopted children, each one raising and loving a child. A priceless gift for everybody."

Excuse me, but WTH!!!!! After all that I have gone through to become a mom, and all that I have done since becoming a mom, how DARE they even suggest that I am a NON MOM just because my children weren't vaginally birthed by me or sliced out of my uterus. I cannot express how incredibly ANGRY this makes me. I know there are plenty of people out there who do not equate adoption with birthing a child, but those people are idiots and should not adopt. And, apparently, those people also should not run favorite mom contests!!

Well, Teleflora received plenty of backlash from the adoption demographic out there, and here is how they apologized but still managed to miss the point:

"Thank you for contacting Teleflora to share your thoughts about the"Teleflora presents America's Favorite Mom" program. In response to your concerns, Teleflora is immediately changing the name of our "Non-Mom" category to "Adopting Moms." After closer examination, we can see how this may have been offensive to moms who have adopted children -- moms who are indeed real moms to their children in every sense of the word. In fact, many of us atTeleflora are "adopting" parents ourselves, including our president and owner. The essence of this category still focuses on a grandparent, neighbor, step mom, or mom to adopted or foster children, each one raising and loving a child.This show of insensitivity on our part was in no way intended and we deeply apologize for any concern or distress we may have caused. It was always our intent to salute and celebrate all moms. In closing, all of us at Teleflora would like to offer our sincerest best wishes to all the many women throughout the world who have worked so hard and given so much to earn the name "Mom."Sincerely, The America's Favorite Mom Team."

So, I guess they think they make it all better by just changing the name of the category, and don't realize that just having a separate category is offensive all by itself! Talk about shit for brains. Who hires these people?? So can you guess who has never used Teleflora and now who never will?
Hey, Sugardaddy's makes a nice gift!
Happy Mama's Day to ALL the mama's!
:)

4 comments:

Stacie said...

You crack me up. Happy Mom's Day! Glad you were able to sleep in (well, sort of) and get some moments of quiet.

Kathryn said...

If Teleflora has adoptive parents, I can't believe they would not be insulted by being considered "non-moms".

The Journey said...

$0.30, you could totally buy 30 gum balls (do they still have $0.01 gum ball machines?)or pay for 30 minutes of parking at a parking meter (and have $0.05 left over!) or maybe even get an extra shot of espresso in your cafe mocha! Happy moms day!

The Teleflora flub is still causing my blood to boil. Idiots.

Jennifer and Ty said...

Just want to say thanks for the advice on the message board. It was greatly appreciated.

Oh, and the whole teleflora thing got us going too...

Jennifer Cofield