BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, April 30, 2008

pink problem part 2 (i really hate pink now)

This morning I opened the new box of pull-ups (technically, "easy-ups") for E. They were pink. I had accidently bought the box with Dora on it instead of Diego. I suppose some people would have returned them for the requisite blue pull-ups, but I couldn't bring myself to do that. (Besides, that would require using the $3.50 a gallon gas currently in the minivan.)

So, E is wearing pink pull-ups. J wanted to know if he could tease him about it. NO!

I ask you, why is it even necessary to make the pull-ups gender-specific?? I mean, come on! When shopping with kids in tow, the last thing I really have time to do is stand at the shelf and focus on which cartoon character is on the box. The other part of this that annoys me is that if E were a girl and I had accidently bought the blue Diegos, it wouldn't have been quite the societal faux pas as it is if a boy has pink peeking out from his pants. (Kind of like the pink sweatshirt jacket he was wearing the day we got him!)

It's just wrong all the way around. Damn those pushers of pink! What's also annoying about is that it isn't that I dislike pink or refuse to dress my daughter in pink. I just wish the "creative" designers and marketers of all things girly would realize that they can use other colors.

So, if you see my son wearing Dora pull-ups, please don't tease him. Not his fault.
Ok. rant over.
:)

5 comments:

The Journey said...

Funny. But really the important question is, does he now say "my peepee my butt my Dora"?
:)

Decade 4.0 said...

funny you should ask, mike & jo! just yesterday when sitting on the potty he pointed to the pull-up and attempted to sing the Dora song. d-d-d-dora! as of yet, he is not claiming possession of dora like he does his butt and his pee-pee (gee, he's such a boy!) but that could change at any time.
:)

gigglechirp said...

I'm sure pink has never looked so good!

Stacie said...

cute stuff - I'm sure the pink is a problem. I totally agree that their should be some gender neutral marketing out there - what if you have twins for goodness sake? (I mean twins where one is a boy and one is a girl.)

Jill said...

I now LOVE pink (used to hate it) since I have a little girl. But I was looking through her drawers the other night trying to find something other than pink or purple to put on her. We don't even have bibs in primary colors because they all have "boy" slogans on them. I agree about the gender-colored stuff. I was amazed in Ethiopia at the wide range of "girly" colors I saw on all the men. And I lost count of how many times Mari was called a little boy while dressed head-to-toe in pink.