BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Saturday, June 14, 2008

my sweet (big) boy

Eight years ago today (June 14) our oldest son, J, did something for me that only he can lay claim to: he made me a mom.

Born in Guatemala, J was already in the U.S. when he was placed with us unexpectedly. We had 5 DAYS to prepare for his arrival -- yeah, we had virtually nothing. Most babies come home to beautifully decorated nurseries that have been waiting for months. Our son came home to a crib (that he hated) set up in our study. Know what? He doesn't seem scarred by the lack of Winnie the Pooh.

On that day eight years ago, we were called by our attorney to get to court -- and to bring a car seat just in case. We nervously waited our turn to speak with the judge and to hear her decision. When we walked out holding J, we were in total amazement. As we drove to M's dad's office to introduce him (on his birthday!!) to his newest grandchild, I kept looking back over my shoulder to the baby in the backseat and saying, "How did this happen?? We really didn't have much to do with this did we? No, really. How did this happen?"

After a very long journey to become a mom, it was just plain shocking to realize that I had a child in the car and he was mine. He was beautiful, healthy, and mine. This is a child that looks nothing like me, that shares none of my dna, and who has gifts beyond my imagination. Regardless of our differences, he was born from my heart if not from my body and has a claim on a large part of my soul. When I think of what had to occur for J to become our son, I am in awe and wonderment. I thank God everyday for this gift of a child.

There really is more than one way to become a parent. Trust me.
"The Spirit moves in mysterious ways."

Love you my sweet boy.

3 comments:

gigglechirp said...

Beautiful. Love to you and handsome J (well, and the whole gang!)

goosebumps!!!!

Stacie said...

Goosebumps here too! WOW! Amazing. (I'm at a loss for words here!)

LISA said...

WOW!!What a wonderful gift you received with J!!