BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

and so it begins. . .

A year ago today we landed in Ethiopia, and our lives changed forever. A year ago today we saw our new children for the first time -- granted, they were sleeping and didn't know we were even there, but we still saw them.

I cannot believe a year has passed.
We have been through so much, and our lives today look vastly different from that of a year ago.

So, bear with me as I take a trip down memory lane, a path that is cluttered with a multitude of emotions. Joy. Sadness. Fulfillment. Frustration. Worry. Amazement. Love. And so much more.

Everyday I live with the things I saw there. The beautiful people. The ugly poverty. The children. My children.

My children with new clothes, eating plenty of food, and getting ready to come to America, while others stay behind to beg in the streets and fight off illnesses that they may never see a doctor for or ever recover from.

My children coming to a place where they will be driven to school and have every opportunity for a good education. Others staying behind with only the possibility of school and having to walk for miles and miles for maybe a half a day's studies.

My children leaving behind their families, friends, country, culture, language because they may not survive otherwise. Others retaining all that is dear, but for how long?

Can a heart truly hold this much, especially when the emotions are so contrasting? How can it hold so much happiness while drowning in so much grief at the same time?

Tomorrow is Gotcha Day.