BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Friday, November 7, 2008

my perspective

I think I am finally ready to write about what has happened. The kids are napping, I'm home on a Friday, and I now have the time to pour out my thoughts.

I knew how much having him win meant to me, but I hadn't really thought about the incredible impact it was going to have on so many others -- both in this country and around the world. When I see famous African American celebrities and political figures (on both sides of the aisle) weep at what has finally occurred, it hits home. When I look at my children and realize that they will never know what it is like to only have old white men as president, I want to weep myself. When I listen to NPR broadcast from a remote village in Kenya where all the people are sitting around one tv and listening to Barack Obama send a message to those in the far corners of the world, my heart wants to burst for them. I've been to one of those far African corners and know of the hope that they cling to. Obama has just given them more.

There are many haters in our country and the world. Many who openly admit to racism and who casually use the n-word. There was a time when they were in a clear majority. But no longer. Content of character now seems to finally rank above the color of one's skin. We went for many years just giving lip service to equality, but this past Tuesday we were given the opportunity to put our vote where our mouths are. For many, it is scary to take a chance, knowing that we would forever leave our old world behind for a brand new one. But we did it. Yes we did. And I know that this new world is really for my children, grandchildren and beyond and not as much for me. That's why it was so important to take them to the rally. They may not remember it, but they will be able to say they were there.

Now, let's say Barack Obama wasn't biracial. Let's say he didn't have brown skin or a funny name. Let's say he was like all presidents who have come before him. He would still be the one we need in this time, in this place. We need his leadership, we need his intelligence, we need his work ethic, we need his ability to inspire. The fact that he is not white and has ushered in a new era in American history is an added bonus. A big one. And we are fortunate enough to say it happened in our lifetime.

Hallelujah.


0 comments: