BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, December 11, 2007

random ethiopia stuff

I thought before I leave the subject of traveling in Ethiopia that it might be a good idea to do one more post that includes some observations, stories, and maybe some tips. I know that some of you who read this are planning travel and might find some of it useful. If you've already been, please feel free to add any other thoughts in the comments section as I know that I won't remember everything I want to say. I think having a brain that currently borders on resembling swiss cheese at times gives me a pretty good excuse for my lack of memory. Having to referree (or maybe play zone defense?) three kids in the early a.m. also causes some issues.

These various thoughts are based on staying at the House of Hope, so some things will be a bit different for those at a hotel.

Let's see. . .

1. Yes, it is a warm country, but still plan to take pants and long sleeves. It does get cool in the morning and evening, but the afternoons get toasty. I never thought I would feel immodest in a pair of khakis and a short-sleeved shirt, but seeing everyone else with long sleeves made me feel a bit that way. When we were out and I saw a woman dressed more "western" (I actually saw one in a halter) I was taken aback. Funny how local sensibilities take hold in such a short time.

2. Not much dairy in Addis. I had some in my coffee once, but that was it.

3. We didn't have dessert after meals. If chocolate is one of your required food groups, take it with you.

4. Don't plan to do the driving yourself. CHI will get a driver for you and you will be eternally grateful. If you are not with CHI, I imagine your agency will do the same. If not, get one!

5. I had great hair in Addis. Really! I think it was the lack of humidity that gave me straighter more manageable hair, but maybe the ickies in the water helped out. Who knows?

6. Be prepared to see just about anything because you just might.

7. If you go to any of the museums, you will probably be searched. They may go through your bag and give you a "pat down" on the way in and on the way out.


8. Make sure your money is 2001 or newer. We did see someone's bill get rejected when getting our visas. Take more 50s and 100s than 20s.

9. Speaking of money, I had read that there would be an "exit fee" when we left, but we were never charged that.

10. When paying a driver or someone for an extra service (like a trip outside the city), make sure it is very clear from the beginning what the charge will be. Let's just say we had a little issue with that.

11. Get out of the city if you can. It is such a beautiful country; make sure to see some of it.

12. Don't forget to bring home some unroasted coffee! Just remember to declare it to customs.

0 comments: