BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, November 7, 2007

was it something i ate?

Last year, on the eve of the Ohio State-Michigan game, I woke up in the middle of the night barfing my brains out. And I couldn't stop. Even when nothing was left in me, for some unknown reason, my body felt the need to continue purging. I have never felt that sick before in my life. We ended up taking the most torturous trip to Urgent Care -- a little tip: never drive bumpy, curvy backroads when your passenger is feeling pukey. We left Urgent Care with a prescription for some magic pills: anti-nausea meds. Ok, so I still felt crappy, but at least I wasn't attempting to hurl my intestines anymore. My wonderful hubby set me up on the futon with the game on even though by that point I could care less about it. I remember in my sort-of-conscious state attempting to yell, "Go, Go, Go!" to some Buckeye running down the field, and of course I was happy they won, but in the end I was truly thankful for being able to drink some tea and eat some crackers without seeing it all again a few minutes later.

So why am I reminiscing about that day? Because I realized that this year we will be traveling to pick up our kids on the day of the big game. We will probably already be at the airport when the game starts, and we'll be sitting in D.C. when it is over. I have something much more important in life to be concerned with on that day than whether the Buckeyes get embarrassed at the Big House. (I wasn't planning on them winning this year anyway.) It's kind of nice for life to provide this reality check for me. Sports and other entertainment are nice distractions, but I think it is important to remember that they are just that: entertaining distractions. I'm looking forward to the brand of entertainment our kids are going to provide. Of course, raising kids might also be seen as a sport. Too bad they don't come with a rules manual and a referree!

Ok, need to get back to packing and other trip projects. Only 10 more days!!

3 comments:

LISA said...

10 more day?!!! Aghh! Sooo exciting!

Julie said...

Wow 10 more days. You must be thrilled. Happy packing.

Stacie said...

It is true - the reality check. I should have Kev read this post before the game this year so he remembers that it's just a game. And, just think, next year you'll have two more little Buckeye fans with you to watch the big game! :) SO excited for you!