BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Sunday, October 26, 2008

enjoying the show

A few weeks ago, I gathered with several friends to mark the passing of 15 years since graduating from Heidelberg College. Thinking that the kids wouldn't have a whole lot of fun, I left them home with dad and instead spent the day "alone" with my fellow Berg alum. While I had a great time and loved seeing the campus again (my, how it has changed!), there was one aspect to the trip that was a nice little surprise.

In attendance was a couple we hadn't seen for many years -- Chris and Jen. They came with their 4 kids -- older daughter and 3-year-old triplets. Oh My Goodness! You see, because of the nature of our family, we are fairly used to feeling on display sometimes. Whether it is people smiling with delight or scrunching their faces up in confusion, we get stared at. Even by those who know us. You get used to it and just ignore it. Well, except when conversations start -- that's a whole 'nother part of it all. So, on this day, it was a nice little treat to sit back and watch another family go through the spotlight routine. (Yes, I will admit that I was among those fascinated by their story, but I am proud to report that I kept far away from those pesky personal questions people like so much.) When people asked me if I had kids, I was able to say, "Yep, 3," and pretty much stop there. Didn't get into one adoption conversation.

Instead, I marveled as Jen told their story of (obviously) successful IVF and how the two implanted eggs turned into 3 kids -- yep, that's right, one of those eggs split into twins. She showed a picture of herself at almost full-term pregnancy. Oh my good lord in heaven, a human body is NOT meant to do that! Ok, I guess since it did, then it is meant to, but it sure did not look like it should. How she even stood up for this picture I will never know.

Although I do enjoy talking to others about our journey and our beautiful children, it really wasn't until that day that I realized how often we are in that position. I really don't mind -- especially when good comes from it. I guess I just hadn't realized how much work it can be until I was able to sit back and watch it. For totally different reasons, Chris and Jen go through it all the time, too. (I also realized that I think I prefer our reason over theirs. Zowee! I made sure to tell J all about it -- oh, he could have had it much worse!) I thank them for showing up with their whole family and taking the stage. It was nice to be in the audience for a the day. :)

Go Berg!!

0 comments: