BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

challenge #2: hair

Often times, when a vanilla-colored person chooses to adopt a chocolate-hued little girl, one of the big worries is how to take care of and do her hair. African hair tends to have different needs and different methods for care and styling, and even those needs and methods can vary depending on the length and texture of your child's hair.

Before we brought the kids home, I did a bunch of research and tried to prepare myself for the task. While I certainly don't feel like a pro, I do feel like I can get S's hair done decently enough to take her out of the house.

So what is my challenge? E.

Yes, E. You see, S is very good about sitting down in front of PBS kids and watching tv or looking at a book or even doing her own mamush's hair while I work on hers. She's very patient and likes to help me keep track of all the hair doodads. Wonderful! Now add E. My 1.5-year-old toddler boy obviously is not so keen on the amount of attention that S gets during this time and the lack of attention he receives. So, while attempting to detangle, comb, condition, oil, brush, twist, braid, etc. his sister's hair, he insists on climbing on me, getting into the hair bucket, spreading the doodads everywhere, and causing general mayhem. Giving him a toy or book lasts for maybe a minute. He would much rather be between me and S's hair.

Because they are on similar schedules for eating and napping, and S tends to sleep later than E, there really isn't a time when I can do her hair without E in the room. The days that are the most challenging are the ones where I am having trouble with S's hair AND I have the "assistance" of little brother. Oy!

On the plus side, he really likes to help clean up the doodads when we're finished! Hey, I'll take whatever I can get.

This Mumblerrr challenge was brought to you today by detangling spray and the big Dannon yogurt container filled with little girl hair doodads in all styles and colors.

1 comments:

LISA said...

So,this is actually a warning to us waiting.EH?