BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

strangely calm

At what point do I start freaking out? Should we take a poll? For some odd reason I'm doing pretty well.

I am trying to be very good about taking one step at a time. Yesterday, I contacted a travel agent who has a lot of experience with Ethiopian adoption, so I got that ball rolling. Today, I made some copies of our passports and necessary immigration paperwork. Tomorrow I plan to get a couple of those docs notarized, get my flu shot, and renew my driver's license. (It expires in December, and I don't even want to think about trying to to renew it after we come home.)
Then, later this week, we'll have a phone conversation with our agency regarding travel and any questions we have. I feel like once we get the important absolutely-must-do things out of the way that we can start concentrating on packing.

Packing.

The good thing is that there is a ton of resources and packing lists on the internet to help do this. The bad thing is that there is a ton of resources and packing lists on the internet to help you do this. I want to be organized about this -- I really do. It's part of my nature. But some of the things just boggle my mind. One person talked about sticking things into all the empty spaces, like inside shoes -- and her hotpot. HOTPOT??!!??

You see, I really only want to take what we need. I know there are many things we can take that would be nice and helpful (like a hotpot) and everyone has their opinions about such things, but I am finding myself simply overwhelmed with the suggestions on some of these lists.

I think I am also having one of those days where I feel like we as Americans just have too much crap in our lives that we can't seem to live without. I'll stop there or I may go off on a tangent and rant and rave for awhile.

Anyway, I know there are still things I need to get for the kids before we travel -- more diapers and wipes, lotion, more clothes for little brother, some slip on shoes, etc., etc. But I am forcing myself to wait until I get to that step before I makes lists and buy stuff.

So when do I freak out? Oh, could be any day now. I'll be sure to let you know when it happens.
:)

2 comments:

Jill said...

I saw that list with the HOT POT! What??? I'm not taking a hot pot...I am taking a lot of things that I personally can't live without (my mini-pharmacy and first-aid kit). So if anyone travels with me and needs any OTC med -- I'll have it with me! Just ask!

Stacie said...

OK - leave the hotpot! You will not need it at HOH - especially b/c they have a nifty water dispenser that puts out super-hot H2O. And, they will feed you non-stop, so really, NO hotpot necessary! :)

You know, I was strangely calm until we got our travel date and then I went into overdrive, but it was a good overdrive - I'd never been so efficient and organized in my life. That's the adoption form of nesting perhaps? :) Sadly, that's all over now!